How to tell if you’re self-centered

by Lynn on April 30, 2010

I know someone who loves to talk about themselves. In fact, I looked up “self-centered” in the dictionary, and their picture was beside the word.

I tense up whenever I’m in their company, because I have to pretend I’m interested about hearing the details of their life for the next 90 minutes.

They drive me crazy.

I’d like to contribute to the conversation, but they never stop talking. I’m bored to tears.

Sometimes, I just want to grab them and say, “PLEASE, try to say something without the words “I” or “me” in the sentence!”

But wait a second… everything I’ve just said has “I” or “me” in the sentence.

Oops.

The red fox jumped nimbly over the fence.

There, I did it!  No “I” or “me” for two sentences in a row.

Self-improvement isn’t that hard, after all…

Paige April 30, 2010 at 5:27 am

When I saw the title of this, before I read the post I thought, “I probably am.” I’m really not concieted (more self-conscious) but I can talk up a blue streak with the best of them. So, yeah. Sorry. :) [There IS a lot of “I” in that. Oh, dear.]

Although the chatterboxes are better to me than that person who never says ANYTHING. You know, the ones who force you to hold up the whole conversation? And conversations are heavy.
.-= Paige´s last blog ..food! =-.

parenting BY dummies April 30, 2010 at 6:31 am

My blog is the self centered part of my life. It’s the only place I get to use the words I or Me. We all know neither of those words appear in Mommy!
.-= parenting BY dummies´s last blog ..So NOT Dumb Saturday. Earth Day is Every Day =-.

O'Dasor De April 30, 2010 at 6:34 am

funny and clever.
i, i, i,
. . . hmmm, eh uhm, er,
. . .never mind.

:-)

.ero
.-= O’Dasor De´s last blog ..The Lost Languages, Found in New York – NYTimes.com =-.

Lisa April 30, 2010 at 7:15 am

Now that I’m almost 50, I’ve realized that many times when people talk about themselves, they’re just nervous or feeling insecure. Then there are others (like my boss) who has her own maid, nanny and personal assistant (me)…

ME: I was hoping I could leave a few minutes early. I’m having medical tests done that couldn’t wait.

BOSS: Nothing serious, I hope. (What I hoped she’d say)

(What she really said)
BOSS: Oh. Well if you have to. But be sure and check your email when you get home in case I think of anything else you need to do for me. And take this work home with you. I wasn’t planning on this.

People like that are just used to having everyone cater to them and have never had to take the focus off themselves.

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) April 30, 2010 at 8:40 am

I know someone like you’ve described!! I’ve learned the art of nodding and smiling effectively. Or the occasional ‘uh-huh’…’really?’…’wow!’ in a phone conversation that is seemingly endless about that person and I’m not really listening after some point. ;)
.-= Stacy (the Random Cool Chick)´s last blog ..Aloha Friday Follow – Vacations or Not? =-.

Caution April 30, 2010 at 8:59 am

I was very nervous about reading this post. Don’t know whether or not I feel less nervous after finishing it!
.-= Caution´s last blog ..FF: School Tales =-.

anna see April 30, 2010 at 9:44 am

good points! sometimes i think i’m self-centered for having a blog.

Kearsie April 30, 2010 at 11:51 am

Man, for a few seconds I feared it was my blog that led to this post. And then I read “90 minutes” and I was like, dude, either she’s a really slow reader or this isn’t me. Phew.

Jenny Yankovich April 30, 2010 at 12:07 pm

It is really difficult when that rambling person is your mom. My mom has a knack for monopolizing every conversation she is in. My brother and I take turns saving people when she has had their ear for long enough. Still love her though….

Mhe-Lhanee Benito April 30, 2010 at 12:11 pm

hahahahha funny post!! I’m enjoying your funny post and photo blog. Youve got yourself a new follower!! Thanks for stopping by at my blog… U
.-= Mhe-Lhanee Benito´s last blog ..My First Award!! =-.

Kat April 30, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I often joke that if you look up narcissist in the dictionary you will see the picture of this “friend” of mine. UGH!

Abigail April 30, 2010 at 3:23 pm

lol, I have more than one friend like that too.
“But enough about me – what do *you* think about me?”
.-= Abigail´s last blog ..How to do Yuzen – Japanese paste resist dyeing =-.

Jessica April 30, 2010 at 6:09 pm

I pick for funny! LOL! Just kidding. Found your blog thru SITS and it is so much fun. love it love it! I am your newest follower and will be coming back for more! hope you have a fab weekend and come visit my place- I have a fun twist on the classic mint julep for the Kentucky Derby. think bread pudding! http://kitchenbelleicious.blogspot.com

J.J. April 30, 2010 at 6:40 pm

The brothers have a friend like that. I avoid him at all costs because he bugs the crap out of me. Uh oh! I just used ‘I’ and ‘me’. I’m self-centered too! Arrrggghhh!
.-= J.J.´s last blog ..Photo Friday… =-.

MarkSpizer May 3, 2010 at 9:54 am