How to make a summer visor

by Lynn on June 21, 2010

Do hats give you headaches? I found the perfect solution for you. It’s a visor that slides onto your sunglasses. It’ll keep the sun out of your eyes, and no hat headache!

You’ll need:

1/8 yard of cotton canvas fabric
1/8 yard of 100% cotton fabric
Wonder Under
2 inches of elastic

This is cotton canvas fabric

On a piece of paper, draw your “pattern” for your visor.
I found that a visor that is 8 inches wide is a good fit.
Here’s my pattern:

Cut two layers of canvas with your pattern.
Cut a larger piece of cotton fabric to lay on top of the canvas (1/2 inch bigger).

Get some Wonder Under.
This is great stuff, and it’s in every fabric store.

Draw your pattern onto the paper side of the Wonder Under.
Cut out two pieces of Wonder Under in the shape of your visor pattern.

Place one piece of the Wonder Under on top of a piece of canvas, bumpy side down.
Iron so that the glue melts onto the canvas (about 15 seconds).
Peel the paper off.

Lay the other piece of canvas on top and iron so they adhere together.
This will be the foundation for your visor.

Next, get your extra piece of Wonder Under,
and use it to fuse your decorative fabric on top of the visor.

Flip the visor so that the back is belly up.
Sew the fabric to the visor.

Sew a little loop of elastic on both ends of the visor.
Position the elastic about an inch from the end.

If you’d like, you can fuse another piece of decorative fabric to the bottom of the visor.

You’re done!
Slide each elastic loop onto your glasses, and voila!
You have your very own sunglass visor:

Here’s how it looks on a person:

Side view…

I store a couple of these in my car so that one is always handy.
My kids were glasses all the time, so it’s nice to have a visor for them on sunny days.

Here’s hoping your summer is full of sunny days!

Are you going to make a sun visor?
Click HERE for a pattern.

This post will be linked up to these blog parties:
Between Naps on the Porch
Somewhat Simple
The Shabby Nest
The Inspired Room
Tatertots and Jello
Crazy Domestic

Elizabeth June 21, 2010 at 8:10 am

What a neat idea! I have transitional lenses because I got tired of switching back and forth with prescription sunglasses (which are expensive to replace). This would so totally work for me.
.-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..Happy Father’s Day! =-.

Cheri June 21, 2010 at 9:05 am

Great idea. I will have to try this because visors do give me terrible headaches.

Oklahoma Granny June 21, 2010 at 10:21 am

That is just about the nifty-ist thing I’ve seen in a long time! I’ve got to go to Hobby Lobby today. I’m going to check out the fabric section.
.-= Oklahoma Granny´s last blog ..Lunch With A Good Friend =-.

Sharon June 21, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Even simplier is too take your pattern and cut it out of fun foam….that thin stuff they sell at the craft stores. Make two little slits for your glasses and slide it on. You could decorate with puff paints, markers, all kinds of stuff. The possibilities are endless, personalize for team sports.

anna see June 21, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I never would have thought of hooking these on my sunglasses!

Judy June 21, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Wellllll, aren’t you clever!!!! What a fun idea! Thnx for sharing

The Retired One June 21, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Very innovative.
But I must confess that my sister-in-law was a big fan of those other visors with the elastic in the back and after spending her first winter in Florida after retiring, she came back with about a million of them in every color and pattern on earth. I humiliated her and teased her so bad about being a gray hair and wearing the old people’s visor that now she won’t take them with her when she visits me…
but my daughter said when she visited her last, she was still wearing them and looking dorky.
LOL
So these are kinda close…..you won’t see anyone under 65 wearing the visors..even if they are cute….
So, old timer..what are you going to invent next, walker covers>>>>??????????????????
hahaa
(I love you, you know that, and I know you can take my teasing).
.-= The Retired One´s last blog ..More of the U.P. Spring! =-.

Sun Visors June 21, 2010 at 10:12 pm

This framed visor from Roxy is the perfect fashion accessory for the summer. Sun Visors

TechnoBabe June 21, 2010 at 10:18 pm

This is actually a great idea and doable for just about anyone. I am going to make one. I have a couple visors but I like this idea of being on the glasses and not pinching my head.
.-= TechnoBabe´s last blog ..He Always Wanted To Be A Father =-.

Lamb June 21, 2010 at 11:25 pm

That’s a clever idea! It’s especially great for someone like my hubby, who scratched his fancy new Transitions glasses within 2 days of buying them ;)
.-= Lamb´s last blog ..A Flower Delivery MYSTERY =-.

pharmacy technician June 22, 2010 at 11:41 am

found your site on del.icio.us today and really liked it.. i bookmarked it and will be back to check it out some more later

Kelly June 22, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I thought this was ridiculous, until I saw the finished product! Super cute! I’m seeing all sorts of variations in my head. Color schemes to match any outfit. Attach a black or white veil for a wedding or a funeral. DINGLE BALLS! We could hang dingle balls!! Okay, too much!

But seriously, great idea! Thank you for making me smile!
.-= Kelly´s last undefined ..If you register your site for free at =-.

buy lexapro online June 22, 2010 at 7:21 pm

thanks for good oppinion knowledge is the king

Jan June 23, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I really like how that visor looks on a person :) Great project!

Kaysi @ Keeping It SImple June 24, 2010 at 7:57 am

That is so fun!! What a great idea, thanks!

Tru June 26, 2010 at 7:36 am

Nice to see an idea that works for people who wear glasses. Great tutorial.
.-= Tru´s last blog ..HORSERADISH =-.

{ 3 trackbacks }