The hardest part about being a parent of a teen…

by Lynn on August 31, 2010

I waited by the window for hours. I had good reason.

It was the first time my daughter was away for a high school event. She and her volleyball team had a sleepover at school. They were going to stay up late, play games, eat junk food, and get to know each other. I couldn’t wait for her to return.

My daughter is going to be a high school freshman.
I can hardly believe I’m writing those words.

As I stared out the window, I wasn’t yearning for the days when my daughter was little. Rather, I was afraid that I’d miss a minute of who she is now. In fact, if someone warns you about the teenaged years, don’t believe them. Teens are wildly funny, incredibly interesting, adventurous, and sweet. Parenting a teen is a lot of fun.

It’s amazing to watch your kids begin to turn into young adults.
The only downside is that they spend a lot of time away from home.
I asked my husband if I could go get her…

…but he said that I had to wait until morning.
So I resumed my post.

The hardest part about being the parent of a teen…
is missing them when they’re gone.

BLOGitse August 31, 2010 at 5:50 am

BUT when they’re grown up, not living at home anymore, you’ll enjoy your new life with freedom, adult kind of freedom…Love never vanish whatever the age of children. It just changes. We become more equal. Until it’s our turn to become children again and our children can’t believe that’s happening! :)
BLOGitse´s last blog post ..Why Blogger bloggers are so stubborn

Amy K August 31, 2010 at 6:55 am

I empathize with you. My oldest is starting her senior year….just wait until she gets behind the wheel of a car….it was excrutiating the first (many) times she drove out of the driveway in a vehicle on her own. Egads!

Lois H. August 31, 2010 at 8:47 am

I am just teetering on the edge of this with a pre-teen daughter… looking forward to the days when she gets to experience all the fun things I remember from high school, but not looking forward to losing my baby girl.
Visiting from SITS.
Lois H.´s last blog post ..Menu Plan Monday 30 August

Annette Green August 31, 2010 at 9:12 am

My friend forwarded your post to me since I am a Sheltie mom as well as a pre-teen mom. I loved your post and the photos made it extra sweet. My pre-teen just started middle school and I blogged about her first day a few weeks ago. If you have time, it’s here:
I’ll be bookmarking your page and look forward to more. I agree that although pre-teens/teens can be challenging, they are great fun, interesting and very cool.

Oklahoma Granny August 31, 2010 at 9:24 am

You are so right!
Oklahoma Granny´s last blog post ..Finally the Search is Over

Kate August 31, 2010 at 9:59 am

I adore your dog. She has the sweetest face.

Jo August 31, 2010 at 11:07 am

Thanks for a post w/ your pup-a-roo! I love her! I don’t recall her name however. Teens can be fun but they also can be labor intensive – all the drama – it sure is a roller coaster ride – so hang on!

Valerene Matthews August 31, 2010 at 11:39 am

your doggie (if i recall correctly, her name had something to do with a seed?) must be one of the most photographed dogs around! it’s amazing how you can get so many good shots of her.

a tear-jerking post.
Valerene Matthews´s last blog post ..My Boss- Madam Cruella deVille

Melinda August 31, 2010 at 4:05 pm

my teen starting high school yesterday, it was a bit traumatic for me. She seemed to take it quite easily.
stopping by from SITS :)

J.J. in L.A. August 31, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Be careful what you wish for – when my sister was a teen she didn’t sulk, she slammed doors.

A LOT! lol!
J.J. in L.A.´s last blog post ..The only good cricket is a dead cricket

joy September 1, 2010 at 10:00 am

This post is so sweet and touching. I also have a freshman daughter and I am really enjoying her life right now. I want to focus on the positives during this time and not the negatives.
Love the sweet doggy pictures.
♥ Joy

April September 1, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Love this post!
April´s last blog post ..My unique family

The Retired One September 1, 2010 at 9:26 pm

So, so true! My oldest daughter, when she graduated from High school, she left for college..and worked every summer there too, so actually never came “home” in the same sense again…EVER…..it seemed like she had just started high school…and now she is in the Chicago area, so we don’t get to see her much…it is such a loss and a sacrifice to “give up” your children to adulthood…but you gotta love them enough to do it………
The Retired One´s last blog post ..Here they ARE!!Augusts Photo Contest Entries!!

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad" September 2, 2010 at 7:24 am

Teens are a lot of fun and what you said is so true. I used to love hanging out with them when I was the youth director at church. It’s true though about missing them when they are out and about having so many things to go to. My mom used to miss me too.
Karen, author of “My Funny Dad”´s last blog post ..Fun Times At Memphis Kiddie Park Parent Tip