Leaves of three, leave it be…oh crap, I touched it.

by Lynn on May 13, 2011

I miss the snow. I really do, because it used to cover up this stuff:

Leaves of three, leave it be…
or else you’ll be an itchy mess.

Poison ivy is a nefarious creature.
It hides where you least expect it, waiting…

It doesn’t even have the common decency to stay on the ground.
It crawls up trees, winds around bushes, and jumps out to grab you as you walk by.

Okay, it’s doesn’t really jump out to grab you unless you kill dandelions.

The problem with the “leaves of three, leave it be” rule is that there are so many exceptions.
You know, plants with three leaves that may or may not be poison ivy.
Kind of like how I look middle-aged, but I’m really twenty-five.

So, can anyone tell me which one is poison ivy, and which isn’t?
Anyone who knows the difference is invited over to my house to do some gardening.

Love,
Lynn

citymouse May 13, 2011 at 6:11 am

I had no idea poison ivy could look so pretty! Ha! I’d be hopeless in your yard… all I know is the three leave verse too. Good thing I live in town.
citymouse´s last blog post ..tunes i like tuesday- lively up yourself

Blond Duck May 13, 2011 at 6:34 am

That stuff is terrible!

MaryAnn May 13, 2011 at 8:33 am

Right now my husband is recovering from a vicious bout of Poison Ivy. It got him while he was mowing his parents yard (when he incidentally found a huge crop of Morel mushrooms!). It is mean stuff & I have no idea which pic is the real deal, but I’ll guess the second shot.

the wanna be country girl May 13, 2011 at 2:03 pm

All these years I’ve bragged about not getting poison ivy, then this year! I hate it, I got on my arms and legs. And no I can’t help you tell the difference between most plants. I guess I better figure it out pretty quick.
the wanna be country girl – Caroline
the wanna be country girl´s last blog post ..Cinnamon Rolls and Cinnamon Bread

Vinobaby May 13, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Oh, crap. I think I have all of it my yard. Oh, well…it’s a great excuse to avoid yard work.
Vinobaby´s last blog post ..Talk Dirty to Me

Cottage By The Sea May 13, 2011 at 3:00 pm

When we lived out in the country I think every one of my kids, and even my husband had poison ivy at one time or another. I think taking care of someone who has it is as bad as having it which is why in a way it’s like I’ve had it at least 6 times. Even though I’ve never had it first hand and I credit that with my disdain for touching anything that isn’t pretzels or chocolate. Seriously, back off the green stuff. Love, me.

AnnW May 13, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I think the bottom picture is poison ivy. The stuff running up the tree is usually Virginia creeper. Get a bottle of Tecnu to apply to your skin when you think you might have touched something. It is a miracle. They also make a pre-contact product. They really work. Ann

Broot May 13, 2011 at 6:44 pm

i remember my grandfather taking me out on his property to make sure I knew what poison ivy looked like. I can’t remember now because there’s no poison ivy in New Zealand. No, we have other fun things to make us itch.

But I think the first two and the fourth one are poison ivy, because I seem to remember that the stalks are red.
Broot´s last blog post ..What I did for me today

Missy| The Literal Mom May 13, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Seriously. Hate. It. And no clue which is which. We have a tree like plant in our back yard that I think kinda, maybe, could be poison ivy. I give it a 12 foot berth.
Missy| The Literal Mom´s last blog post ..Ask Literal Mom – Transitioning

Valerene Matthews, Malaysia May 16, 2011 at 3:47 am

I don’t know if we have poison ivy here but I do know that you have one awesome camera. Mine is cheapo and I’m just glad it takes shots! sigh.
Valerene Matthews, Malaysia´s last blog post ..Royalty and Commoner

Grams May 16, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Lynn, you always make me laugh. “Leaves of three” is the sort of thing that makes me enjoy indoors and air conditioning. I am so not an outdoors gal.

Thanks for visiting on my SITS day. Come back any time. You’re always welcome.
Grams´s last blog post ..Grams is Part of a SITSahood