None of these men pinched my butt

by Lynn on September 26, 2011

Back in high school, my nickname was “Farrah.”
It was an homage to my resemblance to Farrah Fawcett Majors.

If you’re feeling jealous, let me assure you that I didn’t always look so groovy.
I went through a very long period of time without a straight part.
And without straight teeth…

My past hairdos caught up with me this weekend.
I travelled to the hair capital of the world: New Jersey.
I attended a singularly important event that happens once in a lifetime.

It was my 30th high school reunion. I chose my outfit carefully.
I had to prove that I no longer wore HUGE white collars.
In public, at least.

I was TERRIFIED.

What if folks remembered my blue plaid? What if I tripped the class president?
What if I yelled “Where’s the carrot cake?” at an inappropriate moment?
What if nobody believed I had Martians in my back yard?

My anxiety disappeared as soon as I found my band buddies.
When you find someone who is willing to wear a large, furry hat and a scratchy wool uniform with you on a cold, rainy football field for four years, you are united forever.

When you find the girl who took you to the shore in the summer,
and went sledding with you in the winter,
you are united forever.

When you find the sweetest “new” girl who moved into the neighborhood,
and when you find your basketball teammate who didn’t make fun of you
when the coach reduced you to tears, you are united forever.

That’s the beautiful thing about friendship.
It never goes away, even 30 years later.

However, even though I’m 30 years older,
I still couldn’t work up the courage to say hi to the most popular guy in the room.

Some things never change!

Oklahoma Granny September 26, 2011 at 8:05 am

Looks like you had a great time reminiscing with your friends.

Kelley September 26, 2011 at 9:08 am

It looks like you had a great time! I love reunions!

(And for the record, I have a friend, who was born in, like, 1980, who’s name is Farrah. Her last name isn’t Fawcett, but it is VERY, VERY close.)
Kelley´s last blog post ..Sunset on the Farm 1

Kate September 26, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I’m glad you got to go and it looks like it was a fun experience. Your outfit looked lovely, by the way! Very classy! :)

ella September 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Omg reunions can be sooo terrifying but it looks like you had an amazing time! :) you’re smiling widely in all the picture so that’s a good sign
ella´s last blog post ..A Meeting Minutes Sample You Can Use

Jo September 26, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Looks like you had a great time seeing your friends once again. I missed my 10th reunion, but hope to be there when they’ll organize the 20th or so reunion! Should be fun!
Jo´s last blog post ..Grow herbs indoors

anna see September 26, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Yay! You looked great and it must have been a lot of fun.

Jo H. September 26, 2011 at 10:12 pm

So glad you had a good time! It’s wonderful to reminisce with old friends.

And, hey, did they believe you about the Martians?!

Sharon September 27, 2011 at 8:10 am

Beautiful :) You know that in a one of the latest research they found that friendships is making people live longer and healthier than quitting smoking or doing exercise… Thanks for the story!
Sharon´s last blog post ..3D MMORPG Online Games

barak September 27, 2011 at 8:29 am

I have never been in a school reunion before. good chance to catch up with people and maybe find some interest.
barak´s last blog post ..Dog limping on a back leg

Cottage By The Sea September 27, 2011 at 11:31 am

You did it and you did it with style. You look great in all your pics and it seems you had a wonderful time catching up with old friends. Now see, as I tell my self regularly, all that undue anxiety was for naught. By the way, we have the same color hair, (before and after). Congratulations on the accomplishment of successfully attending your reunion. Even still, there is no way in hell I’m ever doing it!

Leslie September 27, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Great photos! You’re so brave to share! Some of the best friends I’ve ever had were made in high school. Looks like you had a great time…you’re now making me look forward to my next reunion!
Leslie´s last blog post ..{Recipes} Cheater’s Donuts

Working Mommy September 28, 2011 at 12:22 am

glad your butt made it out in tact!!

wm
Working Mommy´s last blog post ..{Wordless Wednesday – Hello Lover}

kerry September 28, 2011 at 1:24 am

I enjoy what you guys tend to be up too. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the excellent works guys I’ve you guys to my own blogroll.
kerry´s last blog post ..edible arrangements coupon

So. Cal. Gal September 28, 2011 at 4:28 am

Haha! I just wrote a very similar post even though I didn’t go to our multi-year reunion on Saturday. Instead I went to lunch with 7 friends from ‘back in the day’ and I’ll be going to lunch with several more next week. Time flies when you’re getting old. ; )
So. Cal. Gal´s last blog post ..Old friends are new again…

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart September 28, 2011 at 8:33 am

Well it sounds like you came out of it unscathed. LOL! It actually looks like you had a great time. You looked fabulous by the way.

Cheryl Barker September 28, 2011 at 11:55 am

Glad to see you made it through and even had fun :) Love your outfit. You looked great! Nice to know we can improve with age, huh? :) Though I think I may have reached my limit on that one! :)
Cheryl Barker´s last blog post ..A Beautiful Entry

Sandy September 28, 2011 at 11:13 pm

how cool to match your hair barrette to your braces… =o)