Old Lang Sign

by Lynn on January 4, 2012

We met accidentally as we carried our stuff into our college dorm.
I was probably carrying an armload of Donna Summer albums and makeup.
Fortunately, my new friend didn’t mind my taste in music or pink iridescent eye shadow.

Now, I don’t want to give the impression that we goofed around all the time.
In fact, our college years were filled with solemn, contemplative moments.

See, Mom and Dad? Look at the studious contemplation on my face.
And please pay no attention to the hideous purple sweater I’m wearing.

Fast forward, 20 years…

I’m pleased to admit that my taste in sweaters has changed,
but my college roommate and I are unchanged.

My teeth are still HUGE.
Her hair is still ridiculously awesome.
I can still spill my guts to her, and she loves me anyway.
We had dinner over Xmas, and spent much of our time discussing great literature.

As usual, she reminded me to stop and smell the flowers.

It took us a while to figure out they were silk roses.
In our defense, we were distracted by the guys we met.

For a panicked moment, I thought I lost my roommate.
I felt like a freshman who got separated from her buddies at a frat party.
Not that I EVER went to a frat party. I’m just imagining how it would feel, okay?

I felt a surge of relief when I saw my roommate standing by the elevators.
Imagine my embarrassment when I dragged the wrong person to the restaurant.

Luckily, my college buddy is used to my foibles.
She stopped me before I bought the Nutcracker a beer.

For old time’s sake, we visited the banquet room where my husband and I wed.
By the way, my husband has blue eyes like that Nutcracker…hence, my confusion.

It’s been years since I strode into that room wearing a white bridal gown.
It was nice to think that despite the intervening years,
we are still fundamentally the same people.

No matter what is going on,
she always makes me laugh.

And that is why she is stuck with me…forever!

Who makes you smile?

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart January 4, 2012 at 6:00 am

Aren’t best buddies the best? I have one too. We’ve been best friends for the last 15 years. I don’t know what I’d do without her. And at least one of us is always making a goofy face in pictures. I’ll let you guess which one. *cough*
And I have to tell you that not only did I have your exact hairstyle in that second picture (maybe it looked more like a mullet) but I think I owned the sweater too. LOL! Yeah, Mom gave me your hand me downs. Ha! Ha!
Loved going a little down memory lane with you my friend. I always love seeing people when they were younger. And for your visual enjoyment you can see my mullet here if you’d like. http://homesteadersheart.blogspot.com/2010/01/flashback.html Yeah, enjoy!
HUGS
Kim @ Homesteader’s Heart´s last blog post ..New Year, New Motto!

Christopher January 4, 2012 at 8:55 am

There’s an old saying that a good friend will bail you out of prison, while a really good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, “Wasn’t that fun?”

I do have a friend like that, someone I also met in college. Interestingly a couple of months after we first met I thought I’d never see him again because I was leaving England, and, as far as I knew, he planned to stay there. Before I left he kept being evasive about saying good-bye, saying that we’d see each other again, and he was uncomfortable with good-byes, and generally trying to avoid the subject. Then, as the chopper I was taking to Seoul rose from the landing area above the camp, I looked down and saw he’d spelled out GOODBYE in big letters with rocks.

Part of that is actually true, and the fictional part is better than the truth that one of the last things I said to him at the time is “And I’ll miss you most of all, Scarecrow.” Also six months later he came to the U.S. because, before we’d ever met, he’d enrolled at the same college I was going to. It’s funny how these things work out.

Kate January 4, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Thank you for sharing a glimpse of your adventures with your friend! It’s always nice to have someone that’s been there through ups and downs and who you know will always be there for you . . . no matter how many years or miles separate you. :)

Theza January 4, 2012 at 4:22 pm

No one loves you more than me, Lynn.
Thank goodness for Donna Summer and more.
You are THE triple threat, beautiful, funny and good hair on most days. Oh and you are wickedly smart AND you type so well.

So. Cal. Gal January 4, 2012 at 4:40 pm

My best bud of 26 years makes me laugh so hard sometimes that I banned him from visiting me in the hospital. After back surgery, he called me on the phone and had me laughing SO hard that a nurse came into my room and braced a pillow against my back so I wouldn’t pop my stitches. lol!
So. Cal. Gal´s last blog post ..The Madness Meme, Part 2…

Terra January 4, 2012 at 5:24 pm

You two are just too too cute and silly together and I can see how you enjoy each other’s company. Nice you stayed in touch after college.
Terra´s last blog post ..Your word for 2012

Tracey January 4, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Thanks a lot for sharing this inspiring post to us…Its really funny..
Tracey´s last blog post ..PPI

Valerene Matthews, Malaysia January 5, 2012 at 12:31 am

At my age, I’m still making friends and thanks to facebook, finding the old ones….so lots of reunions going on over here. It’s amazing how some people change and some don’t at all….!
Valerene Matthews, Malaysia´s last blog post ..How we ended up in Botswana, Africa!

Grampy January 5, 2012 at 5:00 am

What a wonderful warm post. We do not share the joy a friendship brings in to our lives often enough. Thanks for the reminder. My wife is my best friend and all I have to do is hear her laugh and it thrills me to no end.
Grampy´s last blog post ..Huge Appetite And Ruffled Feathers

Odd Dad January 5, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Aww. That’s so nice. I hope you always have such a great relationship with such a great friend.
Odd Dad´s last blog post ..The trouble with lyrics

Khriscia January 5, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I love the photos!!All are beautiful!!
Khriscia´s last blog post ..Losing Weight Methods-Works Like Magic

Celeste January 7, 2012 at 3:40 am

Thanks for sharing all the cute photo with us..
Celeste´s last blog post ..How Does Fractionation Seduction Work?

Lori January 7, 2012 at 11:58 pm

That was great! Cheers to good friends!
I just realized that probably sounded like a spam comment, but truly, it’s not.

Mickie January 10, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I love the old photos!!reminds me of some old stuffs years before…
Mickie´s last blog post ..Freesat essex

Errich January 12, 2012 at 1:33 am

Old photos are one of the best….And we are all aware of it…It is or memories…
Errich´s last blog post ..Article Writing Tools Review