How to raise a teen without raising your blood pressure

by Lynn on March 12, 2012

I’m an expert in raising teens. I have two of ‘em.
Not long after I got them, my eye started to twitch.
I combat that nervous tic by sucking my thumb. It’s soothing.

Fortunately, there are lots of resources for parents of teens:

None of them have told me how to launder smelly socks without passing out.
When they figure that out, I’ll read ‘em.

When you have a teen, you realize that you only have a few years left together.
The pressure is enormous. Will you have time to correct your earlier parenting mistakes?
Even more importantly, will you give them amble fodder to discuss with their college roommates?

Hence, the thumb sucking. It helps me get through the day.
I’m not sure my kids have enough dirt on me to complain to their friends.
Then again, I readily admit to strangers that I like sex, so that’s a good start.

In conclusion, I think parents of teens should stick together.
We all have laundry hampers that make our eyes water whenever we reach inside.
Let’s be easy on one another as we navigate this strange, alien world of adolescence.

This post brought to you by Laundry Detergent and Air Freshener.
What would we do without you?

Grampy March 12, 2012 at 5:25 am

Why is it that teaching teens to do laundry is as difficult at teaching them about sex? Could it be that when they learn those things and do them on their own means they have flown from the nest.
Grampy´s last blog post ..Comment on Macro Photography A New View by Sue

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart March 12, 2012 at 7:28 am

Well I have the laundry solution. Make them do it. LOL! When my daughter was 9 (not a good year for her) she looked at me one day and said in her snottiest voice,”Why aren’t my jeans clean?” And she’s basically been doing her own laundry since. Ha! Ha! She’s 18 years old now and maybe that’s why we have such a wonderful relationship. It’s because I didn’t have to smell her dirty socks! Though come to think of it she goes barefoot most of the day. Hmmm…..I guess I really can’t help you my friend. But we’ll stick together anyway because it sounds like fun!
HUGS!!!!
Kim @ Homesteader’s Heart´s last blog post ..Molly’s Money Saving Digest!

Vodka Logic March 12, 2012 at 10:29 am

Will we have time to correct our earlier mistakes? yes according to my therapist who is helping me with my teen..

Brought to you by Vodka

Christopher March 12, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I’m ashamed to admit my mother showed me how to do laundry on the first day I went to college. All her instruction really consisted of was how to separate lights from darks and how to clean the lint catcher–this being a college dormitory I think I was the only person who did that, and I could easily have made a thirty foot ball of lint from what I cleaned out of the catchers. I never did get creative like one of my roommates who figured out exactly how many days it would be until he was going home and brought that many pairs of underwear so he’d never have to wash them.

But parents of teens shouldn’t just stick together. Please also hang out with those of us who don’t have any children–other than the four-legged kind. We enjoy your stories and you make us feel like we made the right decision.

diane March 12, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I saw the title and said to myself…that is impossible. But from your comments I cant figure out if you have boys or girls. While my daughter does not have particularly smelly feet she is afflicted with eyes that continue to roll back into her head. I am fearful this may be a permanent condition but am assured by all that it will correct itself over time. Lord help us all!!

Jo H. March 12, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Five days after your first one leaves for college, you’ll be begging her to come home, smelly socks and all :)

Nicole March 13, 2012 at 12:00 am

Adolescent period is really a crucial stage in growing. It has always been a misunderstood stage. I agree with you that parents and child should really be easy on one another..
Nicole´s last blog post ..payment protection

Cheziannhe March 13, 2012 at 6:17 am

It is never easy to raise a teenagers especially when you have more than one from your kids…You can’t even handle them both when they are in their adolescent stage…
Cheziannhe´s last blog post ..How To Control Anxiety

Grey March 13, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Good thing that our youth are able to understand what is the real essence of sex in our lifestyle, I think this could help in order they can decide the right thing when it comes in this matter… Growing up is about discovering right things in a proper way…
Grey´s last blog post ..RSA Certificate

Samantha March 14, 2012 at 9:06 am

Probably the best way to raise your resting heart rate and blood pressure is through strenuous exercise, not merely walking, but jogging or working out on a regular basis.
Samantha´s last blog post ..Freelance Writer Devon

Minard March 15, 2012 at 7:04 am

Teenagers nowadays are really naughty and they explore a lot…But sometimes, we cannot blame them…
Minard´s last blog post ..internet calling