The patina of a busy life

by Lynn on March 2, 2012

I was in a rush when I took this picture, and forgot to adjust my camera settings.
Initially, I was upset that I didn’t use the correct exposure…
but the more I looked at the results, the more I liked them.

Lately, I’ve come to appreciate how a busy life manifests itself.
There is a certain charm to the things that miss our attention.

When I look at the things I’ve neglected,
the textures and colors are quite beautiful.

Perhaps this is the Universe’s way of saying, “It’s okay if you don’t paint me today.”

Instead of punishing us for not doing everything we should do,
Nature puts a patina on the things that wait,
adding colors that weren’t there before.

If only Nature would put a patina on my gray hair…

Laura March 2, 2012 at 6:18 am

I am loving the overexposured photo!
Laura´s last blog post ..Easter is hunting me down…

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart March 2, 2012 at 6:40 am

You know the “weathered” look is in now. I think that goes for gray hairs as well. At least that’s what I’m telling myself and my grays.
HUGS!!!
Kim @ Homesteader’s Heart´s last blog post ..Because I don’t know what’s going on but apparently you do!

Christopher March 2, 2012 at 8:45 am

It’s always seemed unfair to me that men who go gray are said to look distinctive or mature, while women supposedly aren’t supposed to go gray. I say what’s good for the gander is good for the goose. I’m tempted to quote Cyndi Lauper’s song “True Colors”, but most of her colors come from a bottle. Instead I’ll just say that, for me at least, there’s often more beauty in allowing nature to take its course. It’s the same reason I let dandelions grow in my yard.

And while the photo may not exactly natural, it does show that art is sometimes the product of a happy accident.

Sherry Turner March 2, 2012 at 10:21 am

Love the picture! Yes! There are filters in Photoshop that create such effects, you did it naturally. Woot!

And as for gray hair, I went to the beauty shop and had my hairdresser strip my coloring off – put two shades of gray IN to blend in with my already gray roots and I’m going back to my gray self.

Gray is the new blonde. =)
Sherry Turner´s last blog post ..Ice, snow and the fine art of negotiation

Vanessa March 2, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Great shots! It really seeks attention.. Have same time for yourself too..
Vanessa´s last blog post ..Trying To Get Pregnant Tips

Jo H. March 2, 2012 at 2:58 pm

My hair is getting grey but my husband insists it’s not. I think nature’s “patina” is on our spouses’ eyes, so that they do not see our signs of aging :)

And, I love that first photograph!

Have a good weekend, everyone!

diane March 2, 2012 at 5:10 pm

How about a shadowing patina on my hips?!?!?

Vodka Logic March 2, 2012 at 6:36 pm

What a great line, “the patina of life”… seems I have a lot of that myself. xx
Vodka Logic´s last blog post ..Davy Jones vs Whitney Houston.. who do you mourn?

cottage By The Sea March 3, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Only your hair dresser can do that.

The Retired One March 4, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Oh so true!!!! Loved those shots!
The Retired One´s last blog post ..Mexico: Come travel with me!! : PART ONE

Charly March 5, 2012 at 2:27 am

Wow, thank you. These shots are really great. I love it.

Vicki Valenta (Grams) March 7, 2012 at 11:29 am

Beautiful pictures. I like the thought that neglect gives a beautiful patina and it’s true. Sometimes it does. If only it were true for everything.

By the way, I think the gray hair IS the patina, but not all patinas are desirable. Thank God for hair coloring.
Vicki Valenta (Grams)´s last blog post ..Rest in Peace Davy Jones

Theriz26 March 8, 2012 at 10:31 pm

You look so gorgeous in that photo and i love the natural effects of the light. Thanks for sharing this remarkable photos us.
Theriz26´s last blog post ..Happy New Year To All Of You And Hope You Like The Aquarium Fish Photos Here …