How I got my dog to stand still for 3 hours

by Lynn on November 12, 2012

All the noise from the renovation made our dog a nervous wreck.
My writer buddy (and fellow dog lover) suggested we try a ThunderShirt.
It’s a cozy t-shirt that gives your dog a reassuring “hug” during times of stress.

Here’s our dog, right after she starting wearing the ThunderShirt:

sheltie

Normally, she is in constant motion, pacing from room to room.
As soon as she donned the t-shirt, all nervous movement stopped.

In fact, we tried to get her to move.
She didn’t, because she almost fell asleep while standing.

We’re not used to seeing a mellow Sheltie.
To snap her out of the trance, we offered a treat.
Surely a potato chip would get her to move again, wouldn’t it?

Nope.

She stayed in one spot, enjoying her t-shirt “hug” for a longggggg time.
So, if you’re looking for a way to turn your amped-up dog into a mellow fellow,
a ThunderShirt is definitely the route to go.

Many thanks to my writer buddy, Eileen, for the suggestion.
Do you know if ThunderShirts come in my size?

Christopher November 12, 2012 at 8:42 am

I don’t know if ThunderShirts come in adult human sizes, but I do know they work wonders for Dalmatians as well.
Christopher´s last blog post ..Dear David Mitchell…

Eileen Emerson November 12, 2012 at 10:07 am

Oh, WOW!!! I’m so excited to hear that it worked!! And she looks so peaceful and unperturbed, it’s amazing.

Now that you took the plunge, I’m off to see about ordering one for our Nervous Nellie. I’ll let you know if they have them in your size.

Melissa @ Completely Eclipsed November 12, 2012 at 11:33 am

That’s hilarious. Do they make ones to fit 3 year olds? Because that would be awesome. Stopping by from SITS
Melissa @ Completely Eclipsed´s last blog post ..14 Weeks

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart November 12, 2012 at 2:56 pm

My friend has a Thunderjacket for their boxer. It gets freaked out during car trips and bad storms. They really do work.
But seriously, how cute does she look in that? LOL!
HUGS!
Kim @ Homesteader’s Heart´s last blog post ..Winter Things You Can and Can’t Do in Florida!

Adrian November 12, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Wow, I wish I’d known that a couple of weeks ago. We took in a rescue dog that was SO hyper she made coffee nervous! I put up with the constant motion for 5 months but then she lunged through our fence and ate a neighbor’s pet chicken, so we agreed to find a new home for her. I wonder now if this Thundershirt would have helped her?

Paloma November 12, 2012 at 9:06 pm

lol! that’s funny!
Paloma´s last blog post ..Freedom isn’t Free

Jo H. November 12, 2012 at 11:42 pm

That is amazing – so glad it worked. It’s hard to be anxious all the time!

Lora November 14, 2012 at 10:43 am

They do make these for humans! They are called weighted vests and they do amazing things for kids with sensory issues. Any sort of tight clothes can help a lot of people (and dogs!), a friend of mine with two autistic kids swears by the Target brand UnderArmour stuff.
I love a tight undershirt under my clothes, and my son is obsessed tight pants, so I buy him girl’s leggings that he can wear around the house or under his regular pants. Everyone needs a hug, diagnosis or not!

I’m so tickled that they have these for dogs.

Tammy November 15, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I’m amazed by your statue dog! I’m new to this site – what renovation? I’m renovating my house and it’s making my cats (and me) insane. It would drive my dog insane too if she wasn’t deaf.

Also (unrelated but I read your other posts) I believe that I was semi-responsible for frankenstorm… I think I pissed off karma somewhere along the way – so for that, I apologize.
Tammy´s last blog post ..Breathing. It’s overrated…

Susan November 16, 2012 at 9:07 pm

My dog has a Thundershirt for storm anxiety and it works great! Glad it works for your dog too.

Kelley December 6, 2012 at 12:14 am

Ohmygoodnessgracious, that is hilarious! I am sharing this on the Kelley’s Breakroom’s Facebook page. Thanks so much for linking up with us over at “Finding the Funny” last week!
Kelley´s last blog post ..Fail-Proof Way To Know When Your Kid Is Lying