Kitchen renovation – before and after pictures!

by Lynn on November 30, 2012

We’ve lived in our house for 18 years.
A lot of dust accumulates over 18 years.
Rather than clean, we decided to renovate.

Here’s our kitchen, before:

kitchen, before

We tired of the builder-grade oak cabinets, the leftover 1980′s mauve tile,
and the boxed-in feel with the wall (on the right) that closed off the kitchen.

I called my friend, Alan, and begged him to help.

kitchen, during

He suggested we take out the HUGE powder room and expand the kitchen.
We also removed the wall separating the kitchen from the living room.
Here we are with electrical, plumbing, and new drywall up:

kitchen renovation

The project really started to take shape once we installed the cabinets.

kitchen renovation

And here we are, after!

kitchen, after

I love it!

kitchen, after

Now I can cook and still be a part of what’s going on in the living room.

kitchen, after

The entire process took 7 weeks.
Our builder and his crew were a delight to have in our home.
My favorite part of the new kitchen is the center island – a great place to gather!

What’s your favorite place to be in your home?

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart November 30, 2012 at 6:48 am

That is TOTALLY incredible. They did a great job. I can see why you love it. One thing I liked about this house was that the kitchen was kind of in the middle of the house so I was able to still be a part of what was going on in other places when I was in there. But I see an overhaul in the distant future here too because it to is dated.
NOW can I come over for dinner?
OXOX
Kim @ Homesteader’s Heart´s last blog post ..The Post Where I Get a Little Personal

Christopher November 30, 2012 at 8:44 am

The new kitchen is amazing–although I’m not sure how reliable my taste is, since I thought the old kitchen looked pretty nice, and I was curious about what was written on the wall. Something about people going on to lead normal lives, and I can see why you’d want to get rid of that. Who wants to live a normal life?

Anyway, my favorite parts of my house are the den and the yard outside. Unless I have to mow.

Eva Gallant November 30, 2012 at 9:44 am

Just when I was thinking your “before” kitchen was lovely, I scrolled down and saw the after photos! WOW! You must be delighted with the results! I’m jealous! I just stopped in from SITS to say hi. Hope you find tie to do the same.
Eva Gallant´s last blog post ..WTF Wednesday

Mchele November 30, 2012 at 9:48 am

Wow, Merry Christmas to you!! I’m jealous – it looks great. I want a fridge like that!

My favorite part of my house – don’t have one. We have long-ago outgrown our home. We looked at houses off and on for 2 years but couldn’t find one the me and the husband agreed on and no money to build so we’re stuck where we are. In a 3-bd 1 full bath with two kids.

Barbara November 30, 2012 at 10:57 am

Wow, I love the after! It looks so great!! We have a center island and we love it!
Barbara´s last blog post ..Apples Everywhere

Sandy November 30, 2012 at 11:02 am

ehh…it’s ok, but i like my outdated, needed to be remodeled 20 years ago, kitchen better. NOT! I WANT TO MARRY YOUR REFRIGERATOR!!!

Eileen Emerson November 30, 2012 at 11:41 am

And how, pray tell, is the pooch feeling about the change? Does she feel it’s worth all the anxiety and aggravation she went through? (Or is she still in a Thundershirt-induced coma?)

Kathy Ethington November 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I love my family room, right off the kitchen, so when I do cook, I never miss anything….I can sit in my great lazyboy chair, watch tv, or do crafts in comfort….
Kathy Ethington´s last blog post ..Good night Halloween

Jo H. November 30, 2012 at 11:45 pm

That is stunning, Lynn! How lovely and open everything is, and the dining area is so full of light.

I like all of our house, except there is too much of it and it’s never clean all at the same time. Tsk!

Tammy December 1, 2012 at 12:13 am

Your kitchen looks awesome! I am also undergoing major renovation – my ‘old’ kitchen was removed November 1st. Knocked down a wall or two also. Can’t wait for the finished product!
Tammy´s last blog post ..Music I Need to Share

Jen December 1, 2012 at 2:01 pm

OMG! It’s gorgeous. I love it. I bet you are so so happy.

Alex December 2, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I love this kind of renovation….
Alex´s last blog post ..Samsung Galaxy S3 – The Best Android Phone?

diane December 3, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Beautifully done Lynn. We have never talked about it but I am a designer (and writer who writes for designers blogs etc) and also just remodeled our kitchen. Your 7 week project sounds wonderful compared to our 5 month project but we have lived to tell about it. Check it out on my blog

and enjoy the upcoming holidays in your new space. BTW….love the dogs necklace in your last post…she also looked like she was loving the garland!

diane